Monday, May 4, 2009

success:

What does success look like? Is it in:

The number of degrees I have?
The amount of letters that follow my name?
Being married?
Having kids?
The size of my paycheck?
Purchasing a house?
A job that others think is "cool"?
Having a new car?

I know that others have said it is cliche but these are what the world views as success. Not to say that any or all of these are bad on their own. Actually, they are wonderful. But maybe instead of looking at the end, maybe the process in getting there should hold more valuable. For example: it wasn't receiving the degree that was so great, it was the wonderful people and experiences that I had on the way.

The things and people that come along that we get to tell stories about are what make a life successful. Sharing memories, sharing life. What I accomplish in life pales in comparison to the journey I get to take to get there. The highlights are not nearly as important as the writing that is underneath. What will those words under the yellow be? What comprises my story?

mom's surprise 50th birthday party...going on a road trip with no plans...the third annual roommate reunion...sitting at a coffee shop contemplating these very things...being at home reading a book...watching an old movie...enjoying a picnic...

Those are the things I want to remember. The culmination of which I want to call success in my life.

1 comment:

  1. hey Tess, I know you posted this entry such a long time ago, but it sounds wonderful! this is exactly what I think about success and I am so happy to read that you put them into the words!
    hakan

    ReplyDelete